Friday, March 17, 2006

Primetime

So, I was watching television with hubby when my g/f called and said "put on channel 7!" This was not an odd request because we tend to watch a lot of television together. For those who are not familair, Primetime is a news show with various different stories. The story that we were watching was about how people will lose more weight when there is shame involved. The story is that they took these five very overweight people and took pictures of them in bikinis. They then gave them each 8 weeks to lose 15 lbs or else they would show the bikini pics on national television. I has two thoughts at this point:

1. OMG, what a great idea!
2. OMG, what a terrible idea!

LOL. I know, I'm schizo sometimes. The end result is I thought it was a great idea. I'll let you read the story to find out if they lost or not, but I started to wonder if that could actually work if I did it to myself. What if I took a bikini pic and threatened myself to post it? It couldn't actually work, because how would anyone really know if I had lost the weight. I wish I could find some people to try this with using some other form of public humiliation.

I know it may seem like I am taking this too far with the whole public humiliation thing, but it seems like (for me) it would be the jump start I need. Eh, I guess I'll find another way, but the whole human experiment aspect was very interesting for me.

In other news, T (hubby) seems to be slacking in the super sweet husband department now that we are taking a break. For some background, since we got married I've been kind of neurotic about my house and cleaning and such. Since we've been ttc, I slacked. Plain and simple. Sometimes the dishes sit there for days while I try to muster up energy after being poked and prodded and working a full day.

Well, the other morning, I woke up earlier than usual and walked into my kitchen to make my customary cup of green tea. I stepped on something and was so repulsed by how my home looked, I started to clean. Boy did I ever clean my house. By the time T woke up I had cleaned the house, packed lunches and was playing a game of Texas Hold Em on the computer sipping my green tea looking very much like Super-Wife.

Do you know what he said? Instead of great job babe! or Nice! He said "Cool, I'm glad to see you're getting back to your old self." I was really mad! Does cleaning and cooking make me a good wife? Doesn't getting blood drawn every third day and having an ultrasound wand shoved up my cooter along with appointment after appointment AND working a full time job make me a good wife? Maybe I'm being too sensitive? I don't know. I just know it pissed me off. I swear to you, when we are cycling he is Prince Charming, but now that we've stopped I feel like I have to prove myself in other ways as well. As I sit here typing this, I'm thinking... "Gee maybe I should just stay up and clean so he's proud of me. I know. Issues.

4 Comments:

Blogger x said...

I think that the humilation factor is huge. That's a big factor for weight watchers. Having to stand on a scale in front of a room full of people with that weigh in lady staring you down is very intimidating.

As for the hubby, I am going to assume he is not one of those "this is what a good wife does" kind of guys. He probably had no idea what an effect his comment would have on you. He may have just been reacting to the fact that you have energy, not that you cleaned.

It's great to hear that you are feeling better. It's nice to get out from under the grey cloud.

9:14 AM  
Blogger soralis said...

The bikini thing would definatley work for me!

Husbands, on our bad days can they do anything right? lol

Glad to hear you are feeling better, hope you continue on the upward slide

11:59 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Humiliation would work for me, but I'm almost positive that after the 8 weeks are over, I'd "reward" myself by pigging out and would undoubtedly gain all the weight back within a week!

And I definitely DON'T think you are being too sensitive about your husband's remark. I'd feel pissed off, too. But I also know what you mean about your "issues". Sometimes I feel so guilty that I can't get pregnant, so I try to be an extra good housekeeper to compensate. I'm usually too lazy to act on this guilt, but it's there nonetheless. So pathetic, but true.

2:39 AM  
Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

I saw that "humiliation" episode, too. very interesting. although... when overbearing parents try to shame their kids about weight (or anything else, for that matter) it almost always backfires in a BIG way. so i am not totally convinced. but it sure worked on that show.

as for your man... you know, he probably didn't even mean it in the way you took it. they are... um... not the most tactful sometimes, as i am quite sure you know - LOL! I agree with JustanotherJenny up there. My hubs can be just as dumb but means well 99.9% of the time.

Ornery, I do the same - only my guilt gets me cooking instead of cleaning. there must be freudian explanations for all of this.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home