Friday, March 10, 2006

Finally, a theory!

Went for bloodwork results today. Actually, the docs office called and asked me to come in due to some "abnormal." You should have seen my face when the cell rang and Docs number showed up. So, I went, but called T to come home early and come with me.

Doc came in the room looking very somber and said the obvious. That my white cells were up again, 14.8. This did not surprise me, but then he told me my fasting glucose was 159 and that isn't good. After a lot of yada yadas and blah blahs, he finally introduced a theory. He seems to think that I have full blown diabetes and that is what's causing me to miscarry. At first I thought, "what an ass" but then I really started to think about it. I started ttc about the same time I was diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" and haven't been able to carry. He feels that the diabetes is causing infection inside of me thus raising my wbc. Makes sense I think. My blood sugar really has never been totally regulated, but I've been really blaming it on my PCOS and inability to properly process insulin. He told me to start thinking about insulin, that it may be the only way to conceive and carry a baby to full term. (just typing that gives me goosebumps...imagine he is right?!)

I would shoot my ass full of bumblebees if it meant I could have a healthy baby.

I'm off to see an endocrinologist and nutritionist as I am extremely overweight and hopefully these are the steps to making my dream (our dream) come true. Though I am not thrilled about the idea of insulin, I will do what it takes. I will start a healthy eating plan again and finally join the dang gym I've been meaning to. I'm 34 years old. The time is now. The hardest part of his advice was to quit smoking immediately which isn't working well as I am smoking as I'm typing. This weekend I'll do some research on ways to quit. If anyone has advice on that, I'm open!

I'm glad these past two weeks of agony and tests and waiting are over. I have some answers, but also new questions. I'm optimistic and almost looking forward to seeing the endocrinologist. Perhaps they will shed some light on my situation and make me healthier at the same time. It's time to start treating my body like the temple that it is and stop bitching and moaning. Good Luck to me!

Mish

8 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

just noticed your blog. I too, would have shot bumblebees up my butt to have kids and I only had two miscarriages. I hope great things for you.

12:49 AM  
Blogger seattlegal said...

So many of us would shoot bumblebees up our butts to have kids. It's good to have some answers, though it isn't what you wanted to hear. Good luck on everything - quitting smoking, going to the gym (I really should do that myself), and of course, having a healthy baby. Take care!

1:40 AM  
Blogger x said...

It is so good that you finally got a diagnosis that might give some reason as to why you don't have that baby yet.
I know you aren't asking for assvice but I do like to share with people how I quit smoking. I bought the book "The easy way to quit smoking" by Alan Carr. It is all about cognitive thinking techniques that help to reprogram your brain. I used that method to quit cold turkey afte a 12yr pack a day habit. It's been almost 3yrs now.
Best of luck on the new "healthy" plan. It certainly isn't easy but you'll feel great once you get started.

10:21 AM  
Blogger soralis said...

That is great that they may have found something that will solve your problems. (And I am glad it doesn't involve bees!)

Good luck with the quitting smoking!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

So glad you are finally getting some answers!

Good luck quitting smoking! My father was a heavy smoker for 20 years before he was able to quit. It was one of the hardest, most courageous things he's done, and he'll always be a hero in my book for this amazing accomplishment.

12:12 PM  
Blogger beagle said...

I love the optimism in this post . . . good luck with this new plan . . . you CAN do it!

9:16 AM  
Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

your sentence about the bumblebees had me Laughing Out Loud in a big way. You go girl.

I hope you get a good, sturdy diagnosis and that it's fixable. you have my support and best wishes in getting healthy and then making a healthy baby. big bumblebee-free hug.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Maya said...

Just looked at your blog and saw this post (I am a newbie) I also just found this info. It may be totally off base or too late, but I also have PCOS and if it could help you - that would be great. http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=infertility101&id=2#135

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home